MIM Variocages work great in Station Wagons, Minivans, and SUV’s. The Variocage was engineered with an adjustable length, allowing it to fit in most suitable vehicles and every breed of dogs! The Variocage also works great in Pickup Trucks, when installed properly. You must place the Variocage in the bed of the pickup with the back of the cage against the rear of the driver / passenger cabin.
This model is the Variocage Single, designed to provide protection while leaving sufficient space for other cargo. The flexibility of the Variocage can easily be tailored to the dog and the vehicle by the owner. The Variocage comes in a total of 4 adjustable models and 14 sizes; there is sure to be one that fits your vehicle and the needs of your dog. To see which model will work best for you please see our links below.
Easily add a Pair of Leash Hooks, a Roll Mat,or a Spill-Proof Water Bowl by checking the corresponding boxes before clicking Add to Cart. The Roll Mat will help protect your vehicle from scratches and dirt while protecting your dogs from slipping while entering and exiting the cargo area. The Spill-Proof Water bowl gives your dogs access to fresh water during your trips without the mess of a wet cage!
Why buy a MIM Variocage?
According to a recent study by AAA, about 65% of owners who drive with their dogs admit to reaching for, petting, feeding, or taking pictures of their dogs while driving! When we consider the fact that it takes only two seconds of unfocused driving to double your risk of an accident, and that there were 3,328 deaths and an estimated 421,000 injuries due to distracted drivers in 2012, it's easy to see how driving with an unrestrained/unprotected animal is a serious hazard. On top of this, even a small 10 lb dog can become a deadly projectile in a car crash.
While many pet travel safety products exist, the Variocage Dog Travel Crate is by far the safest way to transport your dogs. Each model has gone through rigorous testing and has proven to withstand all different types of collisions, making it the ONLY CRASH TEST CERTIFIED AND APPROVED DOG CAGE on the market (based on stringent UNECE standards).
Variocages were designed and engineered by MIM Construction, a Swedish based ISO 9001 certified manufacturer and maker of high quality and heavy-duty crash safety equipment for the automotive industry since 1986. Each Variocage is constructed of industrial grade stainless steel designed for optimal durability, and is finished with a sleek powder coating for a great look.
Get a Variocage today, and protect yourself, your family, and your pets from the potentially devastating effects of an automotive collision.
*Note on Variocage Returns:
Variocage products are very difficult to re-pack and return without damage. We suggest that you measure your vehicle and your dog to assure you receive the proper size Variocage, or contact us if you have any questions or doubts. Per our Return Policy, we cannot accept returns for improperly sized Variocage products unless we are at fault for shipping the wrong model or the wrong product.
|VARIOCAGE SINGLE DIMENSIONS|
|Type||Size||Telescoping Length (min-max)||Width (in)||Height (in)||Cage Weight|
|Single||Small (SXS)||28.74 in - 38.97 in||21.85||23.22||37.5 lbs|
|Single||Large (L)||29.92 in - 40.55 in||21.85||25.59||46.3 lbs|
|Single||X Large (XL)||31.89 in - 40.55 in||27.55||28.14||59.6 lbs|
|Single||MAX (MAX)||36.22 in - 45.66 in||27.55||33.26||67.1 lbs|
- The ONLY Crash Tested Cage Rated Using Government Safety Standards - ECE R-17 | ECE-R44
- Perfect Track Record of Safety for over a Decade
- 14 Adjustable Sizes to Best Fit Most Cats, Dogs and Vehicles
- Locking Doors with Gas Hydraulic Motion Springs
- Built-In Key Lock for Security
- Padlock Mounting Tabs for Added Protection
- High-Quality Powder Coated Steel Construction
- Emergency Escape Hatch for Added Safety
- Built-In Crumple Zone Absorbs Impact
- Leash Hooks & Spill Proof Water Bowl Available as Accessories
- Installs Easily in Car with Load Tested Straps to Anchor Points
- No Modification to Vehicle Required
Why do I need Dog Safety Equipment? According to a survey by the American Automobile Association, 84% of drivers who transport their dogs in a vehicle do not use a proper safety restraint. Traveling in your vehicle with an unrestrained pet not only increases the risk of serious or fatal injury for your animal companion, but for the vehicle’s human occupants as well.
Here are a few points to consider when traveling with an unrestrained dog:
- An unrestrained dog can be a distraction while driving, increasing your risk of having an accident.
- In the event of an accident, an unrestrained dog will impact whatever it hits with a force equivalent to several thousand pounds of energy.
- In an accident, an unrestrained dog may be ejected or escape from the vehicle resulting in the dog getting lost, injured or killed.
- Once outside, the dog can become a hazard to other drivers and is at risk of being hit by another vehicle.
- After an accident, an injured or frightened dog can pose a threat to emergency responders, preventing them from helping human occupants that may be in need of assistance.
Why choose MIM Safe Variocage?
- MIM Safe Variocage is the only cage on the market today that has been crash tested for performance in both front and rear collisions. It has also been subjected to a drop test that simulates a vehicle rollover. The crash tests were conducted by the Technical Research Institute of Sweden. In all cases, the Variocage outperformed all other cages on the market and met or exceeded the safety standards applied by the testing organization.
- MIM Safe Variocage is adjustable. You can adjust to compensate for differences in vehicle cargo areas. This can be a great advantage if you need to change vehicles.
- Variocage includes a built-in key lock for security. Pet owners also have the ability to secure the cage with a padlock.
- MIM Safe Variocage features an escape hatch. This very important feature allows you to remove your dog from the vehicle after a collision in the event the cage or vehicle hatch will not open or if your keys are unavailable.
- MIM Safe Variocage contains a ribbed rubber mat for the bottom of the cage. This mat provides a comfortable surface for your dog and makes clean-up a snap.
How does the MIM Safe Variocage compare to other dog cages?
The MIM Safe Variocage is constructed of steel with telescopic tubes and two individual parts for the floor and roof, which allows for adjustment of the cage length. This adjustable feature also benefits crash safety by working with the vehicle's crumple zone. In a rear-end collision, the floors, ceilings and the telescopic tubes will be pushed together. This reduces the risk of injury for all vehicle passengers – canine and human.
When MIM Safe crash tested a regular steel cage with a solid frame, it broke the back seat. The MIM Safe Variocage has a crumple zone just like the car, which means that it will deform – just like your vehicle will – in reaction to a severe impact. This feature allows the rear seat to remain intact reducing the risk of injury to humans.
The MIM Safe Variocage also reduces the risk of injury to your dog because it is designed to minimize puncture wounds and lacerations from the cage material.
The structural integrity of Variocage prevents your dog from becoming a dangerous flying object, being thrown from the vehicle or escaping after an accident. The escape hatch allows you to easily remove your dog from the cage in the event that the rear cargo door cannot be opened.
MIM Safe Variocage offers the highest level of safety
Over the past twenty years, MIM Construction AB has designed and manufactured over 350 crash tested automotive safety products that are effective in reducing the risk of serious injury or death for drivers, passengers, and pets. MIM has gained extensive experience and knowledge from hundreds of crash tests where MIM designs and products have been utilized. Variocage is based on MIM's experience in the production of auto safety products and accessories. Variocage incorporates the same crumple zone engineering principles used by automobile manufacturers to reduce the potentially devastating impact of a serious collision.
The Variocage Single is safe and very practical. It is designed to provide protection while leaving sufficient space for other cargo.
In a rear-end collision, the cage will compress in a controlled manner, just like the crumple zones of the car. This prevents the rear seat-back from being penetrated or pushed forward by the cage, thus minimizing the risk of damage to both the passengers and the dog.
If you are unable to open the Variocage front door, the escape hatch can be used. With a few simple steps, you can easily remove your dog.